DOHA, Nov. 20 (Xinhua) — Tyler Adams has been named captain of the United States ahead of their World Cup opener against Wales on Monday, becoming youngest captain for the Americans since Walter Bahr in 1950.
Gregg Berhalter, the head coach of the team, announced the new appointment at the pre-game press conference on Sunday.
“We’re proud to announce Tyler is the captain for the World Cup. We think he has great leadership capabilities. He leads by his actions and his words,” said Berhalter.
The 23-year-old Adams, the last of the 32 captains announced for this year’s World Cup as well as the youngest one, is a homegrown midfielder of the New York Red Bulls academy who turned professional at the age of 16. He joined RB Leipzig of Bundesliga in January 2019 and was transferred to Premier League side Leeds United this summer.
Adams made his national team debut in 2017 and has made 32 international appearances since then, with one goal.
“It’s a huge honor for me, obviously, to be named captain of this team,” Adams said, adding that he felt confident to lead a very young team.
Team USA, with an average age of 25 years and 214 days when the World Cup begins on Sunday, is the second-youngest team among the 32 teams. Only Ghana has a younger 26-man squad than them.
Speaking of their tournament’s opening clash against Wales, Berhalter said midfielder Weston McKennie and right back Sergino Dest were basically healthy and ready to play. However, he wasn’t ready to proclaim either full-time fit.
“They’ve made great progress,” Berhalter said. “We see them as being able to take part in the game.”
“That’s part of having five substitutes. They can either come into the game or start them and take them out of the game when we feel that they’re getting close to that threshold, but both of them are definitely in position to help this team tomorrow,” Berhalter concluded.
Busy close to transfer window in Premier League
LONDON, Feb. 1 (Xinhua) — There was plenty of activity on the last day of the transfer window in the Premier League, with Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham all making important signings.
Chelsea set a new English transfer record with the signing of Argentinean midfielder Enzo Fernandez from Benfica, paying his release clause of around 120 million euros.
The fee is around 10 times more than Benfica paid River Plate to buy the player, who was awarded the FIFA Young Player for the World Cup in Qatar, one year ago, although the Argentinean side will receive 25 percent of the sell-on fee.
The move completes a hectic January for Chelsea, who have spent over 300 million euros in an attempt to strengthen their squad.
Fernandez’s deal opened the door for Arsenal to move in for Chelsea’s Italian international midfielder Jorginho, who has signed a contract until the end of June 2024 for a fee thought to be in the region of 12 million pounds.
Jorginho will add experience to the Arsenal midfield, as Mikel Arteta’s young side looks to maintain their lead in the league’s title race.
Tottenham were also active, signing Spanish wing back Pedro Porro from Sporting Lisbon on loan, with an idea of turning the deal into a permanent transfer in the summer.
Matt Doherty and Djed Spence have both moved on to make space for Porro, with Doherty bound for Atletico Madrid and Spence signing with Rennes.
Manchester United moved quickly after the news that Christian Eriksen has suffered an injury that will keep him out until May, and snapped up Bayern Munich midfielder Marcel Sabitzer on loan.
Kamaldeen Sulemana has joined Southampton for a club record fee from Rennes. The Ghana winger will cost an initial 25 million euros plus a potential five million euros in future bonuses.
Newcastle United have landed young defender Harrison Ashby from West Ham United for a fee of around three million pounds, while striker Ayoze Perez left Leicester City to return to Spain with a loan deal to Betis.
Leicester strengthened their defense by signing Harry Souttar from Stoke City for 15 million pounds. The Australian central defender gets his move to the Premier League after impressing in the World Cup.
Barca to face Real Madrid in Copa del Rey semis
MADRID, Jan. 30 (Xinhua) — The draw for the semifinals of the Copa del Rey in Spain has paired La Liga leaders FC Barcelona with their eternal rivals Real Madrid and ensures that this season will see three more ‘Clasicos’ in the space of a month.
Real Madrid will entertain Barcelona in the two-leg semifinals this week, with the return leg in the Camp Nou between April 4-6.
The most recent meeting between the two sides was in the Spanish Supercup held in Saudi Arabia on January 15th. Barcelona dominated that game and claimed a 3-1 win with goals from Gavi, Robert Lewandowski and Pedri, with Karim Benzema netting a late consolation goal for Real Madrid.
Real Madrid beat Barca 3-1 in La Liga in the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in their first meeting this season, back in October.
Luck has decreed that the two teams will have their second league meeting of the campaign in the Camp Nou on March 19th, meaning they will face each other three times in a month.
The second semifinal is a northern-derby between Osasuna and Athletic Club Bilbao, with the first game played in Osasuna’s El Sadar Stadium and the return in Athletic’s San Mames.
Osasuna are looking to reach the final for the second time in their history (after losing to Betis in 2005), while Athletic are looking to make the final for the third time in four years.
The two sides met in Bilbao at the start of January, with a series of saves from Osasuna keeper Aitor Fernandez keeping Athletic at bay in a 0-0 draw.
Analysis: Four things we learned in Spain’s Matchday 19
MADRID, Jan. 30 (Xinhua) — La Liga has reached the midway point of the season with leader FC Barcelona five points clear of Real Madrid and a tight battle at the bottom of the table. Here are the four things we learned this weekend in Spain.
BARCA STILL NEED LEWANDOWSKI BACK
FC Barcelona won 1-0 away to Girona on Saturday and extended their lead to five points over Real Madrid at the top of the table, but it was another disappointing display from Xavi Hernandez’s side.
The win comes after they scraped past Real Sociedad 1-0 in the Copa del Rey and only beat Getafe 1-0 in La Liga. Although Robert Lewandowski played in the cup game, he missed the league match against Getafe and a 1-0 win against Atletico Madrid earlier this month.
With Lewandowski suspended, Ousmane Dembele has carried the weight of Barcelona’s attacking football, but the muscle injury he suffered in Girona will sideline the Frenchman for around a month. It’s good that Lewandowski will return next week for a difficult game against Betis.
REAL SOCIEDAD MAKE THEIR CASE IN MADRID
Although Alex Remiro was the busier of the two keepers on Sunday night, Real Sociedad’s 0-0 draw away to Real Madrid is another reason to see the side from San Sebastian as title outsiders.
They played for over 45 minutes in the Copa del Rey with 10 men against Barca in midweek and still pushed Barca all the way, while Sunday saw them contribute to a vastly entertaining match.
While Barca and Madrid still have a packed calendar, Real Sociedad have slightly more recovery time and Mikel Merino and David Silva will soon return from injury, so they have to be seen as candidates.
NO INAKI, NO PARTY FOR BILBAO
Athletic Club Bilbao sit eighth in the table after slipping to a 1-0 defeat away to Celta Vigo on Sunday, following a poor display in which they created few chances (especially in the second half).
The Basque side was without striker Inaki Williams, who was suffering from a knee injury, with coach Ernesto Valverde preferring not to take any risks with his player.
That decision ended a run of 251 consecutive league appearances for Williams – a record that stretches back over six years without either injury or suspension, which unlikely to be bettered any time soon, if ever.
Williams has been criticized for his erratic finishing, but sometimes you don’t appreciate a player until they don’t play, and that was certainly the case on Sunday.
DE PAUL FINALLY IMPRESSES
Atletico Madrid midfielder Rodrigo de Paul was one of the pillars of Argentina’s success in the World Cup in Qatar, but the 28-year-old’s season and a half with Atletico have so far been underwhelming, to such an extent that he has been booed on occasion by fans in Atletico’s Metropolitano Stadium.
Sunday’s 1-0 win away to Osasuna showed what De Paul is capable of, as he produced an intense display in midfield and gave the pass that allowed Saul Niguez (another player who could be on their way out) to score the winning goal.
In theory, De Paul should be an ideal player for Diego Simeone’s style of play, but the question is: can he do it on a regular basis?
U.S. and EU to launch first-of-its-kind AI agreement
Nasheed: Chairperson must find a way for MDP to move forward with two factions
World Insights: U.S. influence in Mideast declines due to biased policies
Cambodia continues to pursue independent foreign policy: FM
Busy close to transfer window in Premier League
Palestinians protest Blinken’s visit amid rising Israeli-Palestinian tensions in West Bank
Finance Ministry orders freeze on new posts, reduction of expenses
Elections Commission grants approval to form Maldives Solidarity Party.
Parliament’s 06th May Terror Attack Report Highlights Defence Minister Mariya Ali Didi’s Negligence.
Leaked documents show India refused to withdraw military personnel and helicopters from the Maldives even after their Visa’s expired.
Former President Mohamed Nasheed revokes support for the current administration in an open letter.
President Abdulla Yameen officially calls for the removal of Indian military personnel in the Maldives.
Hiyaa flats- pigeon coops, negative stereotyping and lobbying.
COVID-19: Racism, Blame Shifting and Politicizing a Pandemic.
News4 days ago
Snorkeler dies in boat accident in Thulusdhoo
News5 days ago
MP Hassan Latheef: Will not let attempts to mess up election succeed
Business6 days ago
Maldives sees increase in USD revenue in Q4 2022
News4 days ago
MDP primary: Nasheed accuses of ‘twisting’ the votes
Business2 days ago
SSNET begins nationwide cable TV service
News6 days ago
Nasheed’s campaign rally cut short over security threat
News4 days ago
President Solih winning primary by landslide difference, Nasheed’s MDP reign reaches an end
Business6 days ago
Finnish telecom giant Nokia reports strong growth in 2022